AAA has unveiled the 2020 Five Diamond list, with six hotels (and five restaurants) added to the collection. the Five Diamond list now comprises 119 hotels and 67 restaurants, which represents less than 1 percent of the nearly 60,000 AAA Diamond establishments across the United States, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean.
Five Diamond hotels, picked from nearly 27,000 AAA Diamond lodgings, are noted for “world-class luxury, amenities and indulgence for a once-in-a-lifetime experience.” New additions include:
- Boston Harbor Hotel (Boston, MA) – This luxury hotel merges modernity and classic décor. The guestrooms offer a luxurious experience with a view of marina activity and local marine life from Boston Harbor’s Rowes Wharf. (Upgraded from Four Diamonds)
- Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North (Scottsdale, AZ) – Well-designed landscaping blends with the desert surroundings, allowing for impressive views from the territorial-style casitas, each with a fireplace and terrace. (Upgraded from Four Diamonds)
- Hotel Bel-Air (Los Angeles, CA) – This classical establishment was brought into the 21st century with contemporary, elegant and high-quality décor. (Upgraded from Four Diamonds)
- Hotel Xcaret Mexico (Playa del Carmen, Mexico) – This all-inclusive resort has eight theme parks, many pools, three exercise rooms and a private island. Many of the modern rooms open up to pools or the river. (New listing)
- Mandarin Oriental, Canouan (Canouan, St. Vincent and the Grenadines) – This property in a remote location offers just 26 large suites and 13 villas, as well as a private beach, impressive marble work throughout, and leading technology enhancements. (New listing)
- UNICO 20°N 87°W Hotel Riviera Maya (Akumal, Mexico) – This property has guestrooms with spacious balconies offering an oversized seating area and large, oval-shaped hot tubs. Each room is assigned a local host who is tasked with ensuring that guests have a pleasurable stay. (Upgraded from Four Diamonds)
To earn the AAA Five Diamond designation, hotels and restaurants must pass a rigorous evaluation that includes unannounced, in-person inspections, anonymous overnight stays for hotels and a review by a panel of experts. All AAA Diamond Program hotels and restaurants are re-evaluated annually to ensure they provide the best experience for travelers and diners.
AAA Four Diamond hotels and restaurants must be refined and stylish with upscale physical attributes, extensive amenities and a high degree of hospitality, service and attention to detail. This year, there are 1,718 Four Diamond hotels and 682 Four Diamond restaurants, including 125 new hotels and 62 new restaurants.